Forum Fremdsprachen English An incredible use of technology

English An incredible use of technology

Karl
Karl
Administrator

An incredible use of technology
geschrieben von Karl
A just received the following mail:

Now this is an incredible use of technology---like traveling back in time!

Left click and hold on each photo, and then drag your mouse gently from

left to right on the original photograph and it will become a photo of the

exact same location and view today - drag it back to the left and you are back in 1944!

Scroll down for more of the same. Just fascinating!

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

Karl
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

Re: An incredible use of technology
geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Karl vom 11.11.2014, 17:06:02
Thanks a lot Karl, that is absolutely fascinating. Amazing how clever human being and the Technique has become.
Greetings from Casablanca
Yoli
Shenaya
Shenaya
Mitglied

geschrieben von Shenaya
Downright gorgeous.
No idea however of how it works. -
Best regards - Shenaya ...

Anzeige

Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
I looked at the photos and was travelling back in 1944, too.
How did it work? It´s fascinating. Thanks a lot.
Bärbel
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 21.11.2014, 18:56:14
http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

I had to drag this up again as it fascinates me enormously.
As we have one or two more English speaking participants in the forum…who knows? ENJOY !

Love Yoli

otherwise look at the start of this thread if you can not open it
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf yoli vom 21.07.2015, 19:03:21
Thanks, Yoli,

for drawing our attention to it again. I like it, too, and I like the images and the idea more than the technique behind. The technique used may be some image sliding software. So far, so good.

Yet just think of the photographer and all the research he must have done. Starting off by sifting through a lot of material, not just photos, because s/he needs to know a great deal about the historical background to make it all meaningful. Then going on by selecting the most promising photos and then taking the trouble of actually travelling to all those spots and taking a photo of what the scene looks like today.
For me, the idea is intriguing, the technical implementation comes second.

It fascinates me because I take an interest in certain aspects and periods of history.

PS: You and the others can call me "Fedi" if you don't mind. At least it may be easier to handle than 'Federstrich'.

Anzeige

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 22.07.2015, 18:21:46
As a child I never liked History, but as I grew older I started to be interested in history. At the moment I read about Etruscan civilization in the Early Iron Age.
I have a suspicion that you did not mean history as such
Take care
Yoli
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf yoli vom 23.07.2015, 18:52:09
Hi Yoli,

Amazing that you have a suspicion although I haven't written an awful lot here yet? Out of curiosity and before I enlarge a little bit on that, what makes you think that I may not have meant "history as such"?
Fedi
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 24.07.2015, 08:04:27
I MEANT SUCH EARLY HISTORY SORT OF 5TH AC

don't be touchy please Fedi.

It was more an idea which I could have had a confirmation or idea what interests you
OK
Take care
Yoli
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf yoli vom 24.07.2015, 09:50:19
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm not touchy at all. Don't worry. There seems to be a little misunderstanding. If you had written "early" or "ancient" history in the first place, there wouldn't have been this need for clarification. No harm done.

I just didn't want to say that I was interested in history in general, i.e. without any reservation. I take the liberty of being a bit selective. There are certain areas and periods which don't mean anything to me such as South-American or Chinese history, just to give one example. Etruscan civilization is not part of it. I'd like to hear more about it.
I'm interested in German and European history in general, more specifically in that of the 18th to 20th century. So the images appealed to me.
Best,Fedi

Anzeige