Am interested in conversing on an advanced level, any subject will be welcome
usabima
usabima
Mitglied

Re: conversational English-American
geschrieben von usabima
als Antwort auf olivenzweig vom 06.04.2010, 13:31:32
hi,
what do u like to talk about? Vacation? Family? Pets? Others?
do you prefer American English or Oxford "Style"?

with regards
Usabima
(yes, my nickname is because we love to travel in the United States, just now we plan a trip to the New Egland States in september this year)

ehemaligesMitglied38
ehemaligesMitglied38
Mitglied

geschrieben von ehemaligesMitglied38
als Antwort auf olivenzweig vom 06.04.2010, 13:31:32
Having had a second home in Florida for some years,and have travelled the West of the U.S., I maybe able to contribute some insights....

Anzeige

olivenzweig
olivenzweig
Mitglied

geschrieben von olivenzweig
als Antwort auf usabima vom 06.04.2010, 17:33:42
hello usabima,

Spent most of my life with Americans, however used to study English in England. Either is fine with me.

Subjects are no problem with me... travelled extensively, lived near Washington DC, skied in Vermont, love New England. Spent some summers at the Florida golfcoast and preferred to stay at the panhandle, to many mosquitoes down South. Like to read, Emerson, Thoreau, Sarton ...read a lot, like handcrafts, animals, nature...your pick.

Guess, once we get started we'll have no problems.Tell about your travels in the States.
Glad we can get started.
Gruesse,
olivenzweig.
tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

geschrieben von tinamarie
als Antwort auf olivenzweig vom 06.04.2010, 21:09:10
I wouldn't mind talking in English once in a while.

tinamarie
olivenzweig
olivenzweig
Mitglied

als Antwort auf ehemaligesMitglied38 vom 06.04.2010, 17:46:30
Hi Stephan,

Am sure you have much to tell about Florida and the great West. I have been to most States, liked New Mexico, am in love with Santa Fe and enjoyed San Francisco, marvelled at highway 1 and its sights. Was fascinated by the "Painted Ladies", San Francisco's resplendent Victorians. Share with us about Florida and the West.

Thanks for joining in.
Olivenzweig

Anzeige

ehemaligesMitglied38
ehemaligesMitglied38
Mitglied

geschrieben von ehemaligesMitglied38
als Antwort auf olivenzweig vom 06.04.2010, 21:25:37
Thank you olivenzweig for your kind reply,

I think I should write about the circumstances of my first visit in the USA.
Despite I always was very interested to visit the USA, the first opportunity did not occur before the year 1986.
Being a child of humble descent, I first had to take care of my forthcoming, e.g. study a technical profession, work as technician, as a senior tec I finally was trusted with tasks in South Afrika, Portugal and Turkey.
Self employed from 1979 on I had to take measures to stay up to date in a certain niche in electronic manufacturing. When the German-American chamber of commerce organized a facultative visit of the 1986 Nepcon Fair , held in Anaheim, California, I took the chance…….
Well – what shall I say – I was overwhelmed by the Fair itself and it’s organization. I gathered a wealth of information and found some interesting business contacts.
I took the time for visits of Disney World and a new found friend among my fellow travellers ,who had businesses in both Germany and the US , took me around in Los Angeles’ points of interests, like Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Walk of Fame, etc.
Everything was so big, so relaxed, well serviced and so different from the “service-desert” called Germany. The only bad thing was the exchange rate. At 3.40 DM for 1 $ , the prices for the good life were very high. The voluptous breakfast at the Sheraton was 10 $ - DM 34.- Oh dear !
So almost everybody went to a nearby Diner, where the brekkie could be had for 4 $, still pretty expensive, but a good dive into the DINER culture.
Good thing though, the costs could be written off, as we were on business trip.
So we nevertheless enjoyed the atmosphere and the facilities of Restaurants and Joints nearby like e.g. the happy hours 4-7 pm with free food buffet, never heard of such a thing in Germany. Visited the best Steakhouses and the food was excellent.
The landscape was great,a good atmosphere all around, lovely weather, the sounds of V8 engines everywhere did the rest for me as car lover, so I fell in love and promised to come back to the USA
olivenzweig
olivenzweig
Mitglied

als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 06.04.2010, 21:24:07
Welcome Tinamarie,

Chime in anytime
LG Olivenzweig
olivenzweig
olivenzweig
Mitglied

Todays find: an amusing insult

Georg Bernhard Shaw to Winston Churchill:

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play;
bring a friend...if you have one."

Winston Churchill in response:

"Cannot possibly attend first night,
will attend second... if there is one."

Have a good day,
Olivenzweig
dancelady
dancelady
Mitglied

geschrieben von dancelady
I think this is a great idea. I might join in sometimes. I lived in the Washington DC area for more than seven years and my husband was American. I would like to inform anyone who would be interested, that we have a regular Sunday night chat in English in the pub of the ST chat. We start at 21 00 hrs European time until 22 00 hrs.We would love to have more participants there! I hope to see some of you there! dancelady

Anzeige