Forum Fremdsprachen English English/American books

English English/American books

Re: English/American books
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied
als Antwort auf elana vom 25.02.2013, 07:49:30
I definitely agree with you. I've taught English for all ages, and for adults it is highly recommendable to simply read for pleasure. It would be a mistake to look up each and every word, you don't understand, in a dictionary. Try to guess the meaning from the context. Only look up words you desperately want to know. It can be helpful to install a vocabulary book either, to keep the words once looked up in mind!
Schang
Schang
Mitglied

geschrieben von Schang
als Antwort auf elana vom 25.02.2013, 07:49:30
As I came in the situation to work in Middle East and to read,speak and write in English with help of my school knowlidge, I got a problem. As a crazy bookreader ( 1 per week), I began to read all my books in English. For the first book, I needed 3 weeks. And then I improved not only in speedreading, but also in speaking and writing. Today, after many years, I even do not realise, wether I read in German or in English. I tried the same in French and it worked the same way.
Schang
tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

geschrieben von tinamarie
als Antwort auf Schang vom 10.01.2014, 16:37:10

I agree with the last three comments. It has worked the same for me. But I do regret not having taken a few courses to improve my sentence structure.

Aside from that, I have recently read a book by Graeme Simsion. The book's title is The Rosie Project. It is funny from the start.

Tinamarie

Anzeige

ehemaligesMitglied33
ehemaligesMitglied33
Mitglied

geschrieben von ehemaligesMitglied33
als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 10.01.2014, 21:55:28
hi, tinamarie, lol, I think your
English is great, I love the way you
write. I myself do a lot of reading in
English, especially victorian literature,
jane austen, bronté sisters, charles dickens.
very easy to read, all of a sudden you forget
its a foreign language. you even start thinking
in english or american. there are thousands of
books with amazon, and even gratis!
so whenever you have time, start reading-reading,
if people only knew how much treasure there is,
forget the tiny mistakes, what counts ist your
good will.
greeeeeeeeeetings,

witta
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
Hi everyone,
recently I read a book by Mitch Albom, the author of the international bestseller "Thuesdays with Morrie", - "The five people you meet in Heaven"

On his eighty-third birthday, Eddie, a lonely war veteran, dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his - and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may been loved ones or distant stranger. Yet each ot them changed your path for ever.

I was impressed and want to recommend you to read.

Maxi41 (Bärbel)
ehemaligesMitglied33
ehemaligesMitglied33
Mitglied

geschrieben von ehemaligesMitglied33
als Antwort auf Schachspieler vom 11.03.2012, 17:20:51
yes, schachspieler, by the way, I also play chess,
its the game of kings, and, of course, of queens...lol,

but my main subject now:
I read "the help" twice,
it takes place in jackson,
mississippi.

it reminds me of my stay in richmond,
virginia, down where the south begins,
and tobacco is asleep.

I hope times have changed ... I never
could understand the attitude they had
against coloured people.... I think of
martin luther king "I have a dream."

greeeeeeetings,

witta

Anzeige

Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf ehemaligesMitglied33 vom 03.02.2014, 15:24:58
I want to recommend a book by Dave Pelzer "A Child Called IT". It´s very easy to read with a low level.

As a child Dave Pelzer was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother, a mother who played tourtuous, unpredictable games that left one of her sons nearly dead. She no longer considered him a son, but a slave, no longer a boy, but an "It". His bed was an old army cot in the basement, his clothes were torn and smelly, and, when he was allowed the luxury of foot it was scraps from the dog´s bowl. The outside world knew nothing of the nightmare played out behind closed doors.
Dave dreamed of finding a family to love him and call him their son. It took years of struggle, deprivation and despair to find his dream and make something of himself in the world. "A Child Called It" covers the early years of his life and is an effecting and inspirational memoir of one child´s determination to survive.

Maxi41 (Bärbel)
rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 07.02.2014, 16:14:03
These days I started to re-read a book by Nick Hornby: "About a Boy"
and I thoroughly enjoy it. The author describes with sharp observation and his comedic instinct the world of his protagonists.
In the end of the book you find annotations. I would recommend this novel to people who own a good understanding of the language.
Have a good time reading it - whishes Rosemarie
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 16.02.2014, 18:21:20
Hi Rosemarie,
I know the book you are describe.
About 2 years ago I got "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby for my birthday. A good idea to read it twice. When I don´t understand the meaning of a sentence or word you can find annotations at the end of every page. It´s really easy to read and I can recommend it to all the beginners.
BTW: This novel have been filmed, but I haven´t seen the film.
Have a nice evening. Bärbel
rose42
rose42
Mitglied

About a boy
geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 18.02.2014, 19:12:09
Hello,
the book I was describing seems to be an older edition. Your remarks of having translations on every page made me wondering and so I looked it up in Amazone. There I found quite a few different editions developed for schools which are really good - with lots of explanations for understanding and interpretation.
They are really worth reading!
Rosemarie

Anzeige