English English/American books

Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

Re: About a boy
geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 20.02.2014, 22:29:46
Hi, Rosemarie,
You´re right. That book I was reading is for "Senior English Library" and printed in 2010. The publishing house is "Cornelius". Therefore it´s very easy to read.
Have a nice Sunday.
Bärbel
rose42
rose42
Mitglied

Re: English/American books
geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Schachspieler vom 11.03.2012, 17:20:51
Hello Gerd,
you're telling about wonderful thrilling detective novels and forget to name the author! Who is it - who could make us shiver with a page-turner? Do you know "Number Ten" by Sue Townsend? The independent says: >A great comic novel lit by Townsend's warmth and wit< Me, too, prefer easy reading now at my age.
Have a nice evening - Rosemarie
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 25.02.2014, 20:05:59
Hello,
some years ago I read a book by Paulo Coelho (Author of the Alchemist) "Like the flowing River". It´s a collection of Coelho´s reflections and short stories, written from 1998 to 2005. These are powerful tales of living and dying, of destiny and choise, of love lost and found. Sometimes humorous, sometimes serious.
I sometimes read stories, but my favourite tale is "A Fairy Tale" about a prince in ancient China who wanted to find a young woman whom he could trust absolutely. My grandchildren like this tale.
Later I want to tell you.
To all togheter - have an nice week.
Bärbel

Anzeige

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
These days I read "Famous English short stories" (Engl./German)
It's a collection of 7 short stories by Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Rudyard Kipling, D.H.Lawrence, G.K.Chesterton, VirginiaWoolf and Graham Green.
I've just finished Thomas Hardy and I had to look up several passages on the German page - there are a great deal of expressions which are not part of my vocabulary. Understanding is one thing, but I find it rather difficult to keep new phrases on mind at my age. The vocabulary you've learnt in school being young is still working and the purpose of this thread is: helping not to forget all of it.
Rosemarie
Mary-Lou
Mary-Lou
Mitglied

geschrieben von Mary-Lou
If you look for a book for rainy sundays then read "The Light between Oceans" (M.L. Stedman). I loved it! There are perhaps some expressions you may not understand at once because it is written in Australian English but this is no problem, it is quite easy to read. It is a fascinating story with surprising events. When reading it be prepared for some tears!

Mary-Lou
rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Mary-Lou vom 25.03.2014, 20:39:34
thanks for the hint! I will test it at Amazon and if it's not too much of a sob-stuff I shall buy it.
Bye-bye - Rosemarie

Anzeige

Mary-Lou
Mary-Lou
Mitglied

geschrieben von Mary-Lou
Three very interesting books for dark winter afternoons:
Call the Midwife
Shadows of the Workhouse
Farewell to the East End

The memories of Jennifer Worth who worked in the East End of London as a young nurse and midwife during the 1950s. Sometimes shocking because of the tragedies that happened there but full of positive thinking and many details of an interesting profession and powerful women. There is also a BBC TV series worthwhile to watch (DVDs).

Anzeige