think about it..this man was 66 when he made this speech

Tina03
Tina03
Mitglied

Re: Great speeches and scenes in the movie
geschrieben von Tina03
als Antwort auf yoli vom 05.07.2017, 12:08:24
Hi yoli,
sorry, but I have a problem with videos - no sound system in my monitor and no space for seperate loudspeakers, i.e. I can't enjoy or contrubute to this part of the thread.
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

Re: Great speeches and scenes in the movie
geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Tina03 vom 05.07.2017, 13:21:02
what a shame, have to think about inserting things

Anzeige

RE: Great speeches and scenes in the movie
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied

we need some input here :-)

"A man needs a little madness, or else... he never dares cut the rope and be free." ~ Zorba

This is one of my favorite scene from the movie Zorba the Greek starring Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates. A movie based on a novel written by the Greek author Nikos Kazantzakis, first published in 1946.

this is the "Tears in rain monologue" delivered by character Roy Batty (portrayed by Rutger Hauer) in the 1982 film Blade Runner. Written by David Peoples and altered by Hauer from the scripted lines  just the night before filming, the monologue is frequently quoted--- critic Mark Rowlands described it as "perhaps the most moving death soliloquy in cinematic history"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Here is a very poetic scene from "American Beauty" the speech is followed by a 3 minute scene of a plastic bag blowing in the wind

"Do you want to see the most beautiful thing I ever filmed? It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing. And there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it, right? And this bag was just... dancing with me ... like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. That's the day I realized that there was this entire life behind things, and this incredibly benevolent force that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid. Ever. Video is a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember ... I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world ... I feel like I can't take it... and my heart is just going to cave in."

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf ehemaliges Mitglied vom 24.03.2020, 10:27:26

Anthony Queen Film i love it..just feel the fredom! But there is one sentence I do not understand..it goes somehow like this..hey boy, did you ever see the border….disgust..
Can someone help.
Greetings out of the isolation
Yo

Anzeige

Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf yoli vom 25.03.2020, 13:43:18

Hi yoli,

I understand: Hey boss, did you ever see a more splendiferous ....
Regards, Federstrich

als Antwort auf yoli vom 25.03.2020, 13:43:18

...it's in one of the last sequences of the movie ..

Zorba's elaborate contraption to transport timber down the hill is complete. A festive ceremony, including lamb on a spit, is held, and all the villagers turn out. After a blessing from the priests, Zorba signals the start by firing a rifle in the air. A log comes hurtling down the zip line at a worrying pace, destroying the log itself and slightly damaging part of the contraption. Zorba remains unconcerned and gives orders for a second log. This one also speeds down and shoots straight into the sea. By now the villagers and priests have grown fearful and head for cover. Zorba remains unfazed and orders a third log, which accelerates downhill with such violence that it dislodges the entire contraption, destroying everything. The villagers flee, leaving Basil and Zorba behind...

After this, Basil and Zorba sit by the shore to eat roasted lamb for lunch.
To appease Basil, he laughs and says: Wasn't it a splendiferous breakdown
Then Zorba pretends to tell the future from the lamb shank, saying that he foresees a great journey to a big city.
He then asks Basil directly when he plans to leave, and Basil replies that he will leave in a few days. Zorba declares his sadness about Basil's imminent departure to England and tells Basil that he is missing madness. Basil asks Zorba to teach him to dance. Zorba teaches him the sirtaki and Basil begins to laugh hysterically at the catastrophic outcome. The story ends with both men enthusiastically dancing the sirtaki on the beach.

BTW the Sirtaki is not realy a greek folk dance - after the movie it became one :-9
Anthony Quinn could not dance, so this easy choreography was made especially for him and to promote the movie and they called it Sirtaki ..

I hope this can help you out? :-)

On the end of this video you can see this " splendiferous breakdown" ...

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 25.03.2020, 14:14:24

yes Fedi, now I hear it understand it too! Thank you

Do you remember this one?
The film stars Katharine Hepburn and Henry Fonda (in his final acting performance) in the lead roles along with Jane Fonda, Doug McKeon, Dabney Coleman and William Lanteau appearing in supporting roles. The film's narrative revolves around an aged couple, cantankerous retiree Norman Thayer and his conciliatory wife Ethel, who spend summers at their New England vacation home on the shores of idyllic Golden Pond. This year, their adult daughter, Chelsea, visits with her new fiancé and his teenage son, Billy, on their way to Europe. After leaving Billy behind to bond with Norman, Chelsea returns, attempting to repair the long-strained relationship with her aging father before it's too late...

I love this movie so very much .. especialy this scene when Ethel says to her grumpy old man:

Listen to me, mister. . You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!

Anzeige