Forum Fremdsprachen English Interesting Citations

English Interesting Citations

RE: Interesting Citations
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied

This young gentleman is fSadio Mane, The Liverpool Star from Senegal (earning approximately 10.2 million dollars annually),has given the world a lesson in modesty after some fans spotted him carrying a cracked Iphone.His response is legendary:

Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches and two jet planes? What would that do for the world? I starved, I worked in the fields, I played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools [and] a stadium; we provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive a little of what life has given me,"
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied
Admin
Admin
Administrator

geschrieben von Admin

Karl

Anzeige

pschroed
pschroed
Mitglied

geschrieben von pschroed

Thank you Karl for this Video.
This president is really a shame for the US people 👎
Phil..

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Admin vom 20.03.2020, 12:01:25

well Karl you Dear. That was worthwhile reading! I usually think of that person...no I try not to think of that Person.  He works on me like an emetic .. 
Thank you so much Karl

Karl
Karl
Administrator

geschrieben von Karl

A colleague of mine, Prof. Kei Ito, just cancelled a Drosophila meeting due to the corona situation using the following words worth of being cited:

"Because of the bad design of the human body, when we communicate we expose not only our ideas but also the contents of our lungs. This is not good. (Arthropods are designed much better than us; they communicate without using something that are held inside of their bodies.) Hand sign language should be ideal for such occasion, because we can communicate without opening our mouths. But I'm afraid that not all the people would be fluent enough in sign language at the level required for scientific communication."
Karl

P. S.: arthropods are e. g. insects, spiders and crabs. 

Anzeige

Tina03
Tina03
Mitglied

geschrieben von Tina03

Overwhelmed by the fact that the following citation, sent to me by a friend, not only seemed to me to be a perfect characterization of Donald Trump, but at the same time perfectly revealing the English mentality, I felt urged to share it with the ST  community, and posted it under "Wir sitzen alle im selben Boot ...". Meanwhile I remembered the English section as a much more suitable place. So here it is:

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"
Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Tina03 vom 27.04.2020, 13:38:35

Gretings Tina,
only just saw this post.
What good words and to be honest a lot o
f truths in them.
I conclude, they don’t hold much of Mr.Trump.
They are not alone!
Thanks a lot and stay with us if you like
Love Yo

senior123
senior123
Mitglied

geschrieben von senior123

hello, 

once I've read this phrase "Nostalgia is a liar in how it montages our best memories while omitting our truths". 

but I forgot whose phrase it is. but I really like it, since it is very common to say how great the past or certain circumstances where, though often we forget the "bad sides" or the "truths". 

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf senior123 vom 12.09.2020, 08:50:41

Dear senior 123
it does not hurt to forget the bad things in life, or at least putting way way back of once thoughts.
MOstly it lets us do one thing again in a different form and the second time it turns out to be good. Thank you for your words
Love Yoli

Anzeige