English Purpose of this subforum

Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

Re: Purpose of this subforum
geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf Praline1 vom 04.08.2015, 22:52:53
Hi there, ladies

Naturalmente, Yoli, we're just in it for the fun and nothing else. It's our precious quality time after all.
I'm a bit hesitant, though, to tell you about my life because I can't tell you such intriguing stories about life and its entanglements. My life has been rather dull. Nothing to talk about and to share. That's why I prefer sharing thoughts and ideas not experiences.

Anyway, my life is quickly told. The first thing you'd need to know about me is that my father was a drunkard and boozed himself to death dying when I was 12 years old. Here I could share stories with you on how embarrassed I was when I had to buy him his quantum of alcohol he needed over the weekend, how he abused my mother and how he would be staggering outside our house with his trousers wet just when I was coming home with my schoolmates. I'll spare you the details, though.
So I grew up as a semi-orphan. There was no father around when I'd have needed him most. My mother did her best, though, to feed us and to care for us. Yet we were really needy. That's why I had to leave school after nine years in order to get apprentice wage. We/I just needed the money. I became a metal worker. You're right, Dörte, I have never liked the job. It enabled me to earn a living but I have been muddling through ever since.

About English. Dörte, as you know, there is no consensus on what "good" English is. Glad you seem to like it but, as always, what some people like others hate. I'm a dilettante in everything I do, i.e., I'm also a dilettante user of English. It was my mother who suggested to me that I should take English classes at school voluntarily for two years (because it was not part of the curriculum) before I left it. I learnt the basics then but I have never been abroad. Later I served in the army and forgot about English completely. At one point a few years later, though, I realised that it might be good to understand a bit more of the language. I went to the library and started reading some books and then gradually picked up more English by reading books and watching movies.
But now the interesting bit: guess when I read my last book in English? As far as I can remember, it must have been six or eight years ago and I think it was The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Now guess when I watched my last movie in English? Even earlier. About 10 or 12 years ago? It probably was Notting Hill starring Roberts and Grant. And when you also take into account that I don't know a single word in any other language (in contrast to you and Yoli), I think it puts things a bit more into perspective.
The reason is quite simple: for the last 10-15 years I have focused on German history as I already mentioned. And then, kind of similar to Yoli, I got into German classical literature because I felt a gap as I had never been introduced to it. I began reading and became kind of hooked, at least for a while. Yet for all that you don't need English.
And now, I have been racking my brains what might interest me next and might make good bedtime reading because this is the only time I can read. Found nothing so far. Everything I know I learned on the pillow if you like.

Now, what about you, ladies?
Honeybee1
Honeybee1
Mitglied

geschrieben von Honeybee1
als Antwort auf yoli vom 04.08.2015, 22:41:47
Hello Yoli,hello everybody!Greetings to all of you,from Magret (living in Menden NRW).Yes I would love to join you!Unfortunately I've forgotten a lot of the english language.I am able to read and understand,most of it but have problems with the grammar.It's long ago,since I was able to speak and write it fluently.Anyhow,I'll have a try I'm very interested in your Life-Stories.I'm also looking forward to Maxi's report about her hometown Leipzig.I never managed to visit it yet.Greetings to all of you-Magret
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 05.08.2015, 17:31:30
Hello altogether,

Today I want to tell you about my hometown.
In December 2015 Leipzig celebrates the 1000th anniversary of its first documented.
The town is not only famous of its 850 years old trade fair tradition but also of its multifaceted music and cultureal scene. Owing to its unique system of passageways, the historic city centre exudes a distinctive flair. Stylish boutiques and top department stores invite visiters to shop and stroll.
Most of the city´s sights are located within walking distance, e.g. Old Town Hall, St. Thomas Church with it´s world-famous St.Thomas Boys Choir, St. Nicholas Church, diverse museums and galleries, Gewandhaus, the Leipzig Opera.
Famose composers lived and worked in Leipzig, e.g. Johann Sebastian Bach, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Robert and Clara Schumann - all worked and Richard Wagner was born here.
In the summertime a lot of Open air and concerts take place in the city. Every Monday at the Bach Monument in front of the St. Thomas Church takes place classical concerts. For the free charge event, visitors can bring their own chair and enjoy the music by renowned national and international artists.
Futhermore a wonderful atmosphere has the Open air "Classic Open" on the market quare, first-class entertainment in the form of classical music, jazz, musicals, pop and swing.
The Classic Open will be staged from 7 to 16 August for the 21st time. Admission also free.

Some years ago the Leipzig Music Trail ("Leipziger Notenspur") was foundet, because Leipzig has a concentration of authentic famous composer´s home and workplace that is unique in the world. The aim of Leipzig´s Music Trailinitiative is to make this treasure visible and tangible Music Trail connects 23 of the most significant music sites in the city center. The trail is 5,1km long and its route is marked by curced steel inserts in the ground. An interesting stroll.

Later I tell you more.

Fedi, "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett I read it in German. Very interesting.
I think in English I wouldn´t understand. Years ago Ken Follett was a visitor of the Leipzig book fair. He read in English but I understand only a bit.
BTW: Thanks for the pictures.

Greetings, Bärbel

Anzeige

Praline1
Praline1
Mitglied

geschrieben von Praline1
als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 05.08.2015, 17:31:30
Hi Margret,

I think it`s nice that you want to join us. The more people are writing here the more it will be interesting.

Yoli and Fedi, your lives have not been easy. Learning on the pillow has been very successful, Fedi!! I also read the book you mentioned as well as the second one - but in German. The English version would have been too difficult to read for me. To find all the unknown vocabulary - that would have taken too much time...
Contrary to both of you my childhood and later life have been happy. My parents made it possible for me to go to school till the school leaving examination. As I didn`t want
to study I spent one year in Hamburg where I got an education as a secretary for foreign languages - English, French and Spanish. Unfortunately I didn`t really need my knowledge at my different working places and so I have forgotten a lot. Later I could help my children at school.

The information about Leipzig was very interesting. Especially I like everything concerning music. Although it didn`t function with the American music student - I am very interested in classic music. I love concerts with brass instruments predominantly trumpet. Maybe you know Ludwig Güttler whose concerts I listened to several times. For more than 50 years I have been singing in different choirs as a soprano. When I was 40 years old I fulfilled my dream to take singing lessons just for fun. I would have liked to do so earlier. But my parents didn`t have money for that.

Well, now you know a lot more about my life. May the others follow..

Kind regards,
Dörte
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 05.08.2015, 19:52:43

Fedi, "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett I read it in German. Very interesting.
I think in English I wouldn´t understand. Years ago Ken Follett was a visitor of the Leipzig book fair. He read in English but I understand only a bit.

Hi, Maxi, hello to everyone,

Thanks for your account and what you said about Follett reading at the Book Fair. I "envy" you a bit 'cos I'd have loved to go there and listen to him. What you said (and also because Dörte read his book(s)) reminded me of how I came across this fellow. I thought I'd share that with you because it might tell you something about me.

I don't know when exactly it was, must have been in the 1980s, when I, late at night, watched a thriller on TV titled "Die Nadel" starring Donald Sutherland. All I remembered for a while was "not bad, quite entertaining and thrilling" and forgot about it again. Didn't know who the author was etc. About 20 years later, a friend of mine mentioned in passing that he was reading "The Pillars..." and who the author was. I was musing about the name when he said that it was the same author who'd written The Needle and that he had been in full vogue for quite some time. Scratching my head, I thought: OK, I might remember The Needle but apart from that....not that I knew...

But I got hooked. I started looking for a DVD or the book at Ebay. I found both, bought the book in English and read it. It was only then when I became aware of the author's name and got more interested in him and googled a lot of information about him, how he spends his life in Cornwall etc.pp. All of a sudden I felt tempted to write him a letter asking him the one question about his book that had moved me for some time and to which I hadn't found an answer. Then I thought better of it and scrapped the idea. But I went to the library and borrowed the "Pillars" and read it as I wrote earlier.

In sum, obviously, I may have been about the only one who hadn't heard of Ken Follett although he had been quite popular and had published a lot of other books. In other words, I may happen to be completely oblivious to a development whereas others follow this very trend, which is their friend )) For me this was not surprising but for some others it may have been telling. Well, such is life.... of an ornamental hermit.
Fedi
Honeybee1
Honeybee1
Mitglied

als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 05.08.2015, 19:52:43
A happy weekend to all of you! :( Wth lot's of good feelings and sunshine,of course! :) From Magret. I'm going to enjoy it!

Anzeige

Honeybee1
Honeybee1
Mitglied

als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 07.08.2015, 09:52:02
I'm very sorry-a little ugly face peeped in my letter.I can't imagine how! Love-Magret.
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 07.08.2015, 09:57:58
Greetings to you Magret .. don’t worry about the ugly face. It amused me.
Have a nice Sunday and do not get overheated.

We will have at least 33° again. It is almost impossible to undertake anything.
Yesterday, in spite of the heat we went and had a walk in the woods. It made it difficult for me to put one foot in front of the other.
But all in all it was still lovely.

Today we will go and visit friends we have made on a trip in Morocco. They wanted us to come 2 days but to be honest am not all that keen. There will be a lot of drinking for the gents and the ladies are left to make conversation. It all depends who with but here I find little in common.
So we just stay for the day.
Take care and have a lovely day.
Love
Yoli
Honeybee1
Honeybee1
Mitglied

als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 07.08.2015, 09:52:02
Thanks Yoli!I had been worrying about that ugly smiley,because the same thing happened to me once before,(in this Forum).It was my attend to send a smiley,to someone likeable to me.Unfortunately I klicked the wrong button.I got a very angry reply.As soon, as I turn up ,that person disappeares- rihtaway.I was very mad at myself,as the same stupid thing happened to me again!When I started on my PC.,everything seemed strange to me,as I had to learn a Lot about it - a very difficult task. I had to find out by myself,because nobody there to give me some hints.I'm already using my PC. for a year now,and I'believe I've managed, so far.Since my husband and our eldest son passed away 2010,my Life has changed totally.Have a nice week! Love-Magret.
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Honeybee1 vom 09.08.2015, 11:24:43
DEar Magret

it hurts me to read of your loss. I just do not understaand how one ever gets over the loss of a son and of course ones Partner. To have to bury a child is just a awful thought and I send you a big hug.

There is a button on the bottom line.

One of them says Bearbeiten. For a while you can Change the mistakes in your writing. I am glad for that as I Keep sending the thing and not check it properly.

Anzeige