English English/American books

Mary-Lou
Mary-Lou
Mitglied

Re: English/American books
geschrieben von Mary-Lou
als Antwort auf Schachspieler vom 11.03.2012, 17:20:51
Hi Schachspieler,

no, I did not see the film "The Help", I have been waiting for it for some time but unfortunately it was not shown in our movie-theater until now. My daughter (who is an English teacher and often recommends books for me to read and afterwards discuss with her), saw the film. She was a bit disappointed and mentioned that some characters are different from the book.
Thanks for the new title by Oscar Wilde. I have a very far memory that I read it a long time ago but do not know anymore whether it was in English or German. Thanks for mentioning it. It will be easier to buy it instead of looking through all the piles of books...

Have a nice Sunday. Mary-Lou
tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

geschrieben von tinamarie
als Antwort auf Mary-Lou vom 11.03.2012, 19:01:07
I am reading a book by Elizabeth George right now. She is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Good writing, with a sense of humor. USA Today said about her - "It's tough to resist George's storytelling, once hooked."
I agree.

tinamarie
Schachspieler
Schachspieler
Mitglied

geschrieben von Schachspieler
als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 21.03.2012, 20:25:45
Right now I am reading "The fourth Hand" by John Irving. He is one of my favourite writers and I have read all novels by him in German. Now I thought it would be a nice idea to have a look at the English (orignial!) novels.. I have to say, good translation job! The books are in both languages very good!

Anzeige

tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

als Antwort auf Schachspieler vom 15.05.2012, 19:14:36
I am out of books to read right now. It seems I have read all the mysteries available at the library.

I will check out next a book by John Irvin. Another good writer is David Baldacci.
Schachspieler
Schachspieler
Mitglied

geschrieben von Schachspieler
als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 16.05.2012, 00:58:32
What books does David Baldacci write? If you want to check out John Irving, you should definitely read one of these first: "The world according to garp" or "The cider house rules"
Mary-Lou
Mary-Lou
Mitglied

geschrieben von Mary-Lou
Hello,

if you want a book for a lazy summer afternoon in the garden then read one of Mary Stewarts's novels! Although a little bit old-fashioned (most of them are from the fifties when gentlemen hurried to open the car door for a girl and everybody was smoking...) but nevertheless most of them are real pageturners. The language is good English. The stories happen in different countries like Greece, France etc. and you can imagine the places very well because of a very good description. I started with "Nine Coaches Waiting". Meanwhile I've read a number of them and enjoyed them very much. (With just one exception (wildfire at midnight) which was a bit less exciting.)

Mary-Lou

Anzeige

smilyface
smilyface
Mitglied

geschrieben von smilyface
als Antwort auf Schachspieler vom 17.05.2012, 16:28:42
I recently read a book from David Baldacci - "True Blue". It's brilliant plotting as well as a heart-grabbing action story.

Smilyface
elana
elana
Mitglied

geschrieben von elana
I’d like to encourage people, whose English isn’t very advanced, to read English books. For beginners, there are e.g. books by Agatha Christie quite easy to read. I liked “My Family and other animals” by Gerald Durrell very much. He tells about his upbringing in Greece in his extraordinary British family. He was a very well known zoologist and a humorous writer as well. I can also recommend the Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics. There are some real treasures.

elana
elana
elana
Mitglied

geschrieben von elana
als Antwort auf smilyface vom 10.01.2013, 18:19:25
Caution, the books by David Baldacci are not the proper reading for sensitive people. They are really cruel.

elana
tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

als Antwort auf elana vom 25.02.2013, 07:58:16
My sons like reading books by Michael Conelly and Ivan Doig.

Anzeige