Forum Fremdsprachen English how about just conversation?

English how about just conversation?

mirisfad
mirisfad
Mitglied

RE: how about just conversation?
geschrieben von mirisfad
als Antwort auf yoli vom 23.09.2023, 12:21:22

Hi,
I think it’s difficult to begin a conversation without having a topic you are interested in. - Jus smalltalk is not everybody’s interest.

And another point: speaking English may be quite easy. But writing English is much more difficult.

I regret that such a written conversation seems to be impossible. 

Mirisfad

geschrieben von flacon
als Antwort auf yoli vom 23.09.2023, 12:21:22

It seems that nobody wants to communicate in English.

geschrieben von yoli
Well, that is certainly not the case, @yoli. I tried several times to muster some interest in myself to take part in English conversation but the topics seemed quite hopeless to me. As @mirisfad points out, not  everyone likes small talk or travel or the weather. I am quite interested in a general way to practice my English but I feel there should be something more to talk about. Just now I can`t think of anything to engage in in a deeper way, maybe books and literature and poems, several people might be reading a book together and discuss it, that would be something to my personal taste but I only suggest it as an example. Maybe other members could come up with ideas? 
skys
skys
Mitglied

geschrieben von skys

Hello @Yoli and welcome @Bonzadog, @mirisfad and @flacon !

Nice to read you again, yoli :-)
But why are you so impatient ?
You have been away for some time, too ;-)

What a pity, Bonzadog, that you haven't used your English, too - especially as a native speaker ;-)
I'm looking forward reading your English phrases.

Mirisfad, what are items, you would be interested in ?
Writing is as well as speaking just a matter of practice. Unfortunately I have currently less practice in speaking but I enjoy using a language in any way.
And by the way, as well as in German, discussions in English can be very interesting/entertaining !

Flacon, literature is a good idea, I think.
In my case I have currently not the time to read a lot other books.
But perhaps I'm going to start another thread with a certain item.
And I can spend a hint for a book, which I heard of - or: of which I heard of ? *grmpf - Corrections very welcome :-)
I'll write it in the other literature thread…

Have a nice weekend !

PS:
I was wrong, thought, there exists a literature thread but didn't find one where my hint would fit to.

So here:
The author Tobias Schlegl was talking in the NDR talk show (German), you can watch it here, if you want. A very interesting and impressive human.
And there he suggested his book "Strom" which seems to be interesting.
Well, I probably wouldn't like it because I don't like e.g. whodunnits or certain kind of fiction but apart from this I can imagine that the book is very good and the item fits to this forum with the older people, too ;-)
So, perhaps one of you would like to read it...

Anzeige

Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Mitglied

geschrieben von Globetrotter
als Antwort auf flacon vom 23.09.2023, 16:54:37

Just now I can`t think of anything to engage in in a deeper way, maybe books and literature and poems, several people might be reading a book together and discuss it, that would be something to my personal taste but I only suggest it as an example. Maybe other members could come up with ideas? 

Good morning everybody
I hardly ever write here, but don't like the idea seeing this (friendly) thread dying. For this reason I like to introduce you to  a book I'm reading right now. I bought it last week at the airport leaving Florida. Maybe you'll like it, here is what's written on the cover:

Elizabeth Strout - Lucy by the sea

I March 2020, Lucy's ex-husband William pleads with her to leave New York and escape to a coastal house he has rented in Maine. Lucy reluctantly agrees, leaving the washing-up in the sink, expecting to go back in a week or two.Weeks turn into months, and it's just Lucy, William and their complex past together in a little house nestled against the sea.

Elizabet Strout won "The Pulitzer Prize for Olive Kitteridge in 2009

globetrotter
mirisfad
mirisfad
Mitglied

geschrieben von mirisfad
als Antwort auf skys vom 24.09.2023, 08:38:53

Here is a description of the book „Strom“ in German:
https://www.piper.de/buecher/strom-isbn-978-3-492-07133-8

I am sure this book is thrilling, emotional and treats an actual topic and it is a book in German.
Wouldn’t it be better to choose an English-American book when we want to discuss it in English?

What about e.g. these books:
https://www.amazon.de/Coldest-Winter-Paula-Fox/dp/0805078061 ?
https://www.amazon.de/Through-My-Eyes-Ruby-Bridges/dp/0590189239 
https://www.thalia.de/shop/home/artikeldetails/A1022805554?ProvID=11000522&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvL-oBhCxARIsAHkOiu04A5FrngnONAKqGRlq8PSedVefYOLGyGqQdD4v9vK7FjvcyxNQL7MaArTAEALw_wcB

Or something similar?

What are your ideas? 

Mirisfad

mirisfad
mirisfad
Mitglied

geschrieben von mirisfad
als Antwort auf mirisfad vom 24.09.2023, 09:38:12

Another book I was looking for might be:

https://www.thalia.de/shop/home/artikeldetails/A1003129922?ProvID=11000533&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvL-oBhCxARIsAHkOiu0BbiXp2Cc8TQMMciIb8NbGmsLQFqRMsBr_lfQH7Hl68-a4NNcqL5EaAt_TEALw_wcB

Anzeige

Bonzadog
Bonzadog
Mitglied

geschrieben von Bonzadog
als Antwort auf mirisfad vom 23.09.2023, 12:54:57
If you would like, we could correspond.
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Globetrotter vom 24.09.2023, 09:23:50

Elizabeth Strout - Lucy by the sea
  A Good  idea but until I order it and read it, time goes by. Never heard of Elisabeth Strout.

Anzeige