yoli
Mitglied

Re: Purpose of this subforum
geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 29.07.2015, 14:31:51
Hi Dörte
Hi Fedi
And Hi to all the faithful readers

Oh yes me too. I love chocolate. If I would eat as much as I like I would have to buy a new wardrobe.
Yes that is true Dörte we do travel a lot. We >> that is my husband Emil and myself. We have started 8 years ago when Emil got pensioned off and I have retired already.
We bought a camper and off we went. Every year a few months somewhere else.
It is a great life for us.
But it is also nice to get home and see the loved ones though.
Yes I like Spanish, but the writing partner I had was so perfect. She left me way behind and I have forgotten so much since I learned that language.
Like you I would also write in then French part but it is too much like hard work for me.
We Swiss do seem to have an inkling of a few languages.*g*
What do they say "Jack of all trades, master of none"
Fedi please do not be put off by my directness. Maybe it is “swissness”, but I hope not bad manners.
Bye for now
Yoli
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf yoli vom 28.07.2015, 17:21:50
Hello Yoli and hello to everybody,

Mhm, Dörte is right: Yoli, you seem to be a bit of a globetrotter, always on the road and enjoying yourself. Blessed is s/he who is able to do that. And, no, Yoli, I'm not offended by anything you have written. "Swiss directness"? Never noticed that. BTW, I wasn't aware you are from Switzerland. How should I know?

Well, you had a few comments on one of my recent posts. Here are the answers.
First, you wrote: "I said I had..." When had you said that, I wonder? Did I miss anything?
Second, your reference to "my library was dukedom large enough"? Never heard? But understood. Did you notice the quotation marks? Those words are not mine but I quoted an English dialect poet whose works belong to the cultural memory of western civilization: Old Willie from Stratford. This quote sprang to my mind when I wanted to express that I am poor and lead a secluded life just like a hermit does. But I'm rather an ornamental hermit because I have to show up at work from time to time to make a living. That's what I wrote in the next sentence you quoted.
Interestingly enough, you did not comment on the other expression I used although Willie had also coined it, that of "vanishing into thin air". So you had heard that before.

Third, as for your question where I'm left if women have a sublime taste in men? Nowhere, is the answer. On a more humorous note, I was saying that I just accept that women know best who is Mr. Right for them and who they choose as a partner even if there is no-one left for me. )) But no jealousies, I said elsewhere and I mean it. Still, I appreciate your sympathy.
Well, I'm in for a ghastly day tomorrow. I'd better take some precautions now.
Bye for now.
Fedi
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf Praline1 vom 27.07.2015, 22:43:41
Hello @all,

to Dörte´s question:
My nick is to explain easily: "Maxi" is the name of my grandchild´s cat, and as you may guess - "41" is the year for my birth.
That´s all

Greetings, Bärbel

Anzeige

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 29.07.2015, 19:54:27
Hi @ all

all explained thank you Fedi..
just wonder though?? what Accent did Willie from Stratford have.
I read that Shakespeare did not even have a Warwickshire Accent.
Just to Chat away..
did you know of the queries about this fellow Shakspere and Shakespeare?
only 13 pages but interesting

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf yoli vom 30.07.2015, 10:25:33
Oo saturday the 1st of August we have our
please read.......

The Swiss National Day (German: Schweizer Bundesfeier; French: Fête nationale Suisse; Italian: Festa nazionale svizzera; Romansh: Fiasta naziunala Svizra) is the national holiday of Switzerland, set on 1 August. It is an official national holiday since 1994, although the day had been suggested for the celebration of the foundation of the Swiss Confederacy as early as 1889.

Thats nice

not nice is the noise and smoke we have each year because of the fireworks let up around the houses.
It hurts me each year to think of all the Money gone up in smoke. How many hungry mouths could be fed with that?
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf yoli vom 30.07.2015, 10:25:33
Hi @ all

all explained thank you Fedi..
just wonder though?? what Accent did Willie from Stratford have.
I read that Shakespeare did not even have a Warwickshire Accent.
Just to Chat away..
did you know of the queries about this fellow Shakspere and Shakespeare?
only 13 pages but interesting
geschrieben von yoli

Hi Yoli,
It depends on what a Warwickshire accent may have sounded like back then? Definitely not like it sounds today. Researchers say that "Shakespeare's accent would have sounded to modern ears like a cross between a contemporary Irish, Yorkshire and West Country accent" and you can listen to it here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9143302/How-should-Shakespeare-really-sound.html
http://twentytwowords.com/performing-shakespeares-plays-with-their-original-english-accent/
http://originalpronunciation.com/
Listening to it, I think I'd need subtitles anyway to understand it. )

As for your second question, yes, I read about it but think that those debates are purely academic and, for me, they are a kind of sideshow. I can understand to some extent that the accent spoken at the time has got an influence on rhyme and meaning and, thus, on understanding. Yet the question of who actually wrote those works cannot be solved anyway. So why the fuss? What do they want to prove?
BTW, it was not my intention to start a discussion about old Willie. This just happened because of my quote.
Thanks for your contribution anyway.
Best regards,
Fedi

Anzeige

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 30.07.2015, 18:33:58
have a look at this

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock/pop1/
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf yoli vom 30.07.2015, 23:00:17
Hi Yoli,
Honestly, I can't make head or tail of this link. It looks creepy to me? What do you want to say?
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 31.07.2015, 17:15:31
http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock/

It is a chart of the world population
Right you have the total number and below that you find

Home
By Demographics
Africa
Americas
Asia
Etc.
Further down you get
Health
Environment
Society Regions
Etc.

Still left you have a choice of previous or next

Just try out it won’t hurt you
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf yoli vom 31.07.2015, 19:05:59
Out of Zeit Online

http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2013-11/eu-eurostat-geburtenrate-deutschland

Germany has the lowest birth-rate in the EU

Darwin's theory of evolution says that each new organism is subtly different from its parents, and these differences can sometimes help the offspring or impede it. As organisms compete for food and mates, those with the advantageous traits produce more offspring, while those with unhelpful traits may not produce any. So within a given population, advantageous traits become common and unhelpful ones disappear.

What do you think?

Anzeige