English Purpose of this subforum

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

Re: Purpose of this subforum
geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf yoli vom 09.08.2015, 22:18:46
DEar Magret

it hurts me to read of your loss. I just do not understaand how one ever gets over the loss of a son and of course ones Partner. To have to bury a child is just a awful thought and I send you a big hug.

There is a button on the bottom line after you have pressed Absenden.

One of them says Antworten, Zitieren Bearbeiten.and Löschen as well as Senden.
For a while you can change the mistakes in your writing. I am glad for that as I keep sending the thing and not check it properly.
geschrieben von yoli

I am pleased to read you here and you are wellcome.
Take care
Love Yoli
bukamary
bukamary
Mitglied

geschrieben von bukamary
Hello all together,
Guess it´s time to leave a post in this thread.
First of all I should welcome you Dörte, sorry but I failed to do that. If you want to know something about me, just ask.
I actually wanted to join the chat on Sunday. But in the afternoon I continued with my mosaic table and completely forgot time. At about prefabricated templates, samples8.15 pm I realized how late it was. For me it is more interesting to work with normal tiles. Using a hammer or a tile cutter and special tongs I cut, break the tile into the pieces I just need. Even though you find a lot of prefabricated templates and samples in www, making your own design is simply more fun.
During the past 2 weeks you all wrote quite a lot. I think I read most of it. But I either wasn´t in the mood to write, to lazy or I was busy with my voluntary work. Together with somebody else we designed a flyer for an event. Because of another event I was out looking for experts for special themes and looking for entertainment.

Have a good start

bukamary
Maxi41
Maxi41
Mitglied

geschrieben von Maxi41
als Antwort auf bukamary vom 12.08.2015, 05:49:13
Hello altogether,

Today I remember of the building of the Berlin Wall 54 years ago.
After Juny 17, 1953 there was a dramatic increase in the number of people who fled the GDR. In 1960 almost 200,000 people fled from East to West Berlin. Half of them were young people under the age of 25. In the spring of 1961, the economic situation in the GDR worsened rapidly. Therefore Walter Ulbricht gave the order to seal off the sector boder in Berlin. In the early morning of August 13, border police started ripping up streets in the middle of Berlin. I heard the news on the radio while breakfast. It was incomprehensible! The Wall cemented the political division of Germany and Europe. It became a world-wide symbol of the Cold War.
Thank goodness it´s over.

From 15 to 30 of August I´m on holiday. So I won´t be here and in the Sunday-chat.

Greetings, Bärbel

Anzeige

bukamary
bukamary
Mitglied

geschrieben von bukamary
als Antwort auf Maxi41 vom 13.08.2015, 19:50:59
Hello Bärbel,
have a nice time. Do all those things, you want to do. And I hope the weather is just like you want to have it. Enjoy the time

bukamary
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf bukamary vom 14.08.2015, 12:50:47
I know so little of the Wall in Berlin. It must have been similar to today when lots People come into a part of the Country to look for a new home. Where did they live who gave them food and possibly work?
It must have been similar when 200'000 Hungarian flew to Australia in 1956.
Bärbel you are on the way on your holiday. Have a good time.
All others too
Love Yoli
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

geschrieben von Federstrich
als Antwort auf yoli vom 15.08.2015, 10:57:16
Where did they live who gave them food and possibly work?
It must have been similar when 200'000 Hungarian flew to Australia in 1956.
geschrieben von yoli

Hi Yoli, hello to everyone,

You probably mean Austria where about 70,000 settled down. The figure 200,000 relates to the total number of Hungarian refugees at the time most of them going to Western Europe and a few of them overseas.

As far as East German refugees are concerned, their integration into the West German society was never a challenge. There were no language problems. Most of them were young, reasonably qualified, many of them with an academic degree. They were ambitious, self-confident, willing to work, to take risks and to make do with what they got at the start. They received generous integration aid from the state. Not all of them had to pass through the reception camp. After a while they got a job, a flat and settled down.

BTW, I found your letter posted in the literature section quite informative and appreciate that you not only posted it but added your own thoughts about it as well. That is what that thread is lacking. What is the point of just posting a letter without any comment, i.e., with apparently no intention to talk about it? No reaction to your post so far. Isn't that telling somehow?

Hildegard, the other day you mentioned in the politics section that you knew what life in other areas of the world was like. Did you move to Germany? I just remember that you had invited questions about your life earlier on but that you have not written about it. Would you mind giving us a rundown of it as Yoli and me have done it? I still don't know anything about Maxi's life either but she's on holiday right now.
Fedi

Anzeige

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 16.08.2015, 12:41:02
Nice to read you Fedi
Thank you for the info re the east German Refugees. I can imagine that it still was a ,lot of folks looking for a new life all at once.
Yu are right of course I meant Austrian where the Hungarians came through. A lot of them came to Switzerland and were welcomed here (most of them) because they wanted to work.
Yes I am a bit unhappy to not have any exchange of thoughts in that thread. Of course I will not post another letter when there is no interest from the others.
By the poems one lady posted an own poem and introduced herself. There was no welcoming there either. Shame! There are very few in that thread.
I do like to exchange thoughts about writers and poets
bukamary
bukamary
Mitglied

geschrieben von bukamary
als Antwort auf Federstrich vom 16.08.2015, 12:41:02
Hildegard, the other day you mentioned in the politics section that you knew what life in other areas of the world was like. Did you move to Germany? I just remember that you had invited questions about your life earlier on but that you have not written about it. Would you mind giving us a rundown of it as Yoli and me have done it?

Hello Fedi,
well I have written a bit about me, I guess you didn´t read it until now. If you turn back to Page 52, the last contribution on that page and on Page 53, the 6th post from 29.04.2015,22.29 - here you will see 2 links, if you are interested - you´ll find a bit about me.

Here in germany my parents and some teachers didn´t allow me to speak, write, or read english except for school. And I was not allowed to write too many letters to my friends. So I hardly had the chance to keep on practising. Later on other things became more important. There were hardly any people around me who were willing to speak english and I lost contact to former friends and schoolmates.
In the meantime I think I should have cared more about that a lot earlier. But so what. That´s my situation now. I´ve no problems understanding what you write. But for me writing is still quite strenuous, especially because I actually don`t use a translation program and only seldom a dictionary.
If you want to know more just ask.

cheerio
bukamary
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf bukamary vom 17.08.2015, 10:30:25
Hello, Hildegard,

Yes, I am interested and I've read your posts with interest. They filled a gap. And I'm impressed that you have lived your life amost "down under". The state of PNG really is not the nearest place to live in if you take a central European perspective, is it?

Incidentally, why did you parents leave and what made them, and you, come back?

I understand that you were raised with your mother tongue being English and the "two other languages" being some austronese tongues then? It's a shame, isn't it, that no one could be bothered to talk English with you. After all, don't they say that in Germany "everybody can English" [sic] )?
Ironically, things are different these days when those so-called helicopter parents see to it that their kids are raised bilingually. And you were "not allowed to". It does sound strange, doesn't it.

"Translation program"? What's that by any chance? Is it possible to use software and come up with ideomatic and meaningful sentences? I'd take that with a pinch of salt and, no, that would never occur to me. I also hate using a dictionary. Sometimes, if a word has knocked on my door the third time and I, again, can't decode it using the context, I may have a look at a dictionary. Generally, I don't find writing in English to be any strenuous at all.

While reading those back posts I realised that you had already introduced yourselves here in this English section. I wasn't aware of that because someone (Dörte?) had suggested quite recently sharing our live stories with one another. However, you had already done that. Maybe, Dörte didn't read the back posts either?

Anyway, Hildegard, there was clearly no need for you to write it all up again. Refering me to those earlier posts was the thing to do and quite convenient.
Fedi
PS: Yoli I'll get back to your post soon.
Federstrich
Federstrich
Mitglied

als Antwort auf yoli vom 17.08.2015, 00:14:45
A lot of them came to Switzerland and were welcomed here (most of them) because they wanted to work.
geschrieben von yoli

Hi, Yoli and hello to everyone,

I happen to have read an account of one of those Hungarians in which he described his exit for Switzerland and how he succeeded in making a living for himself there. He travelled the world and eventually settled down on Tenerife. Comparing the situation of the refugees in Germany today to his own, he said he'd have gone mad if it had taken more than six weeks at the time before he could start working in CH. Six months, as is the case today, would have been way too long for him and the others.

When reading the literature back posts I realised that you'd posted "The Raven" by E. Poe. That struck a chord in me. You know why? Because it reminded me of a record I'd bought in the 70s which included a musical version of "The Raven". Do you know what I'm talking about? Yes, of course: The Alan Parsons Project's album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination". It impressed me way back then, as did other concept albums by other artists at the time and I bought all of them and still treasure them.

As for Parsons, it's a chicken-and-egg question who inspired me first. I simply can't remember. Did I read the book first and then discovered the music or vice versa? As often, I ended up reading about Poe's life and works.

Does he mean anything to you?
Fedi

Anzeige