Forum Fremdsprachen English how about just conversation?

English how about just conversation?

Munro
Munro
Mitglied

RE: how about just conversation?
geschrieben von Munro
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 24.06.2020, 22:50:23

Good morning!

I would like to take part in this conversation.
I have lived in England and in Scotland for some time.
And I have  vistited England and Scotland and Ireland again and again.

And my nick is taken from a special term for certain Scottish mountains.

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Munro vom 10.07.2020, 05:56:49

Hello, very much welcome to Munro! I will write again, as soon as I have the time to.
Love from Rosemarie

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
Many years ago, when our children were little, we did camping in Keswick, which is a small town in the Lake Distrikt. One day we made a trip to the Scottish border, to Gretna Green. My wife and me were already married, so we did not want to use the services of the local smith. Unfortunately camping in those days was not a real pleasure, especially for my wife, who was in charge of keeping our clothes clean and dry. We got a lot of rain and on the campsite we always had to wear high wellies. Nevertheless we still love to remember those three weeks in the northwest corner of England. There were beautiful landscapes, U-shaped valleys, old small stone bridges, and steep narrow roads, the steepest was 1 in 4. Maybe you can figure out what that means. 

jacaré4

Anzeige

Munro
Munro
Mitglied

geschrieben von Munro
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 10.07.2020, 11:08:18
Hello, very much welcome to Munro! I will write again, as soon as I have the time to.
Love from Rosemarie

Thank you for your welcome, Rosemarie!
Best wishes  from Munro!
rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf jacare4 vom 10.07.2020, 11:23:04

Oh yes, I remember the narrow roads very well. We experienced  them in South-England and Wales but, too,.in Irland. And  the stonewalls which limited the properties - to protect them against the wind of the ocean - I liked all of it.
We drove in our German car with the wheel on the left side which meant quite a challenge. Me- sitting on the right side - had the job to control if my husband could overtake or not. But, we got used to it...

And the sights are simply overwhelming, as soon as you get on one of the many hills. It's a sad fact, that we are old now and couldn't do those journies any more. We enjoy to  recollect by our countless fotos.

Rosemarie

Lerge
Lerge
Mitglied

geschrieben von Lerge

Lovely to be able to 'revitalize' memories in English! Thanks !!

Having enjoyed a few holidays in 'England' when I was still at school, I persuaded a friend in 1962 to join me on a cycling holiday from Dover to Land's End / Cornwall and back to London.

We planned a three week trip along the South Coast of GB, staying as close to the coast as possible. When we had crossed by ferry from Plymouth in Devon into Saltash in Cornwall, it did not take long for us to 'fall in love' with Kernow, its breathtaking coastline, its glorious beaches, the delightful small harbours, the Lizard Peninsular, and finally Land's End with its roaring waves and wonderful outlook in all directions.

The trip back to London was cross-country with a short lift by hitchhiking. In Bath Abbey we were allowed to ring the bells to see and experience, how bells were rung in Britain.

Having finally arrived in London and having sent our bikes by train back to Germany, we made our way to Heathrow to fly back home.
My very first flight on my 21st birthday. 

​​​​​​​Our trip outlined (it certainly kept us fit) :

South Coast Cycling1962.jpg

Land's End

LandsE_smll.jpg

I have enjoyed remembering this holiday in English. Thank you !!
Lerge

Anzeige

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf Lerge vom 10.07.2020, 15:22:56
Oh gosh - what an enormous ride!

We took this route about 40 years ago by car. We had crossed the Channel by a ferry and started from Plymoth to our first destination Stonehenge.  We had our kilometers on mind - wjhilst one mile is about
1,5 km. It felt like never ending. So we had to call our first  landlady because of being late.
Have you visited the museum in Plymouth? It's phantastic how they preserve the historic ship.

After Stonehenge we went to Gloucester, looking up my school and the villa, where I used to live as a teenager. Bath was very interesting, too. In Gloucestershire we stayed for one week, another week followed in Wales and finally 1 week in Cornwall. 
Altogether we spent 3 unforgetable weeks, met friendly people in comfortable accommodations, adored their gardens (the English are best gardeners I think), enjoyed the beautiful contryside and we were ever so happy. 
Unfortunately we had not then a digital camera, but a very good one with heavy zoom and so on.

Thank you for posting some fotos!   Love from Rosemarie
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli

Dear Munro

Great we love to have conversation here, about everything possible. Someone who has visited my beloved country is very welcome!
I, myself have lived there for over 20 years. I was 17 years old then when I first went there and sort of got stuck. It was my first country where I really got involved in the all-day life, even politic and all that goes with it.
I have been away for 2 weeks am back now  ready to go. I will try and put in some photos of the area Tessin we were visiting in that time.
Take care
Yoli

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf yoli vom 12.07.2020, 12:32:36

Today was the ideal weather for the birthday-party in the large garden of friends. Sitting under a huge chestnut-tree we had Weißwürste und Bretzen with beer - of course -  and later fine cakes with coffee. 
Chatting, laughing and exchanging travelling plans and advices the time went by ever so quickly.
Coming days we have to plan for an equivalent party for my husband's birthday - I do hope for fine weather that we can spend the time in our garden - we'll see...
Now I wish all of you a nice Sunday-evenin, looking forward to hear from you again.
Love from Rosemarie

aixois
aixois
Mitglied

geschrieben von aixois

have you then ever practiced "Munro bagging" ?

Anzeige