Forum Fremdsprachen English Purpose of this subforum

English Purpose of this subforum

ginabeate
ginabeate
Mitglied

Re: hallo, to everybody Regina
geschrieben von ginabeate
als Antwort auf julchentx vom 04.08.2010, 05:23:14
Really julchentx, these were really nice and encouraging , funny words,I'll think of it, if I'll write in this forum. Many greetings to you and all the other writer of the forum. Nice evening Regina
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Mitglied

Re: hallo, to everybody Regina
geschrieben von Elizabeth
als Antwort auf julchentx vom 04.08.2010, 05:23:14
@ julchentx

Your English is perfect!

May I ask you a question? (Yes, it’s allowed. Thank you!)

Do you have been born or do you live in an English spoken country?

I have one question more: When do you sleep??

See you! Elizabeth

@ all the others

The next joke of me:

A wife saw her husband weight himself on the scale trying to pull in the stomach. The weight thought he is trying to reduce his weight on the scale. So she said:
"You know. I don't think that will help you anything"
The husband replies "Of course it helps. It is the only way I can see the number on the scale"

Wish a nice day to all
Elizabeth
ginabeate
ginabeate
Mitglied

Re: hallo, to everybody Regina hallo, hallo,
als Antwort auf Elizabeth vom 04.08.2010, 21:40:21
What happen with all of you? No new stories, no jokes? Nevertheless,I wish a nice and quiet week-end to everybody.I hope till soon Regina

Anzeige

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Mitglied

Re: hallo, to everybody Regina hallo, hallo,
als Antwort auf ginabeate vom 07.08.2010, 20:19:39
@ ginabeate

Here I am again!

I send you a proverb that will help your spoken English and vocabulary.

Proverb: Knowledge in youth is wisdom in age.

and

I send you some information in English about the Dutch language, too.
The sentences below are very easy to read, I believe.

Dutch is quite a difficult language. It's not very widely spoken, but it's certainly a difficult language to learn and to pronounce. Dutch is, of course the native language of The Netherlands, and also of Northern Belgium (Flanders). The Belgians have a very typical accent.

You immediately notice whether a person is from Holland or Belgium. Dutch is a language of Germanic origin and besides The Netherlands and Belgium, it's also spoken on the Netherlands Antilles, Suriname and many people in Indonesia also speak it (all former colonies of The Netherlands). And in South-Africa, they speak a language derived from Dutch: Afrikaans.
UniLang

Have a nice day
Elizabeth
ginabeate
ginabeate
Mitglied

Re: hallo, to everybody Regina hallo, hallo, Hi, Elisabeth
als Antwort auf Elizabeth vom 12.08.2010, 13:26:09
Nice to hear of you again.To learn a new langage could be interesting. Unfortunately I am to old to learn something from the beginning.I like it to repeat my English and French and a little bit of spanish. I think,it's enough for an old lady like me. I have so many hobbies,I have not more time for other things. Indeed,I would like to do it .Above all I would really get better in questions of the computer. I know the proverb which you wrote down. I know a lot of them.Our teacher liked it to give us proverbs at any and every opportunity. OK I hope till soon again Regina
julchentx
julchentx
Mitglied

geschrieben von julchentx
als Antwort auf ginabeate vom 12.08.2010, 20:05:34
oops, sorry guys,

I have been busy and did not check this thread for answers.

Thanks for popping in :)

Lol, when do I sleep? uhhhhhm....about 7 hours after you I live in Texas.
Have been here 30 years, past March, and love it. But I was born in Hessen und grew up there.

About learning english and practicing it: once you have the basic grammatics down, like the sentence
structure and so forth, it's really just a matter of compiling vocabulary. Every time you speak or
write English (or any other language) you learn new words and phrases and you learn how to use those
words and phrases. So the more you practice, the better you get at it.

Actually, I had English classes in school in Germany for 2 years (was 11 and 12 years old) and my English
teacher told me that he would give it to me in writing that I would NEVER learn this! It was quite the embarrassing
moment, lol.

Then I never spoke English anymore until I was 17. It was amazing how some of the learned basics of the english
language came back to me then and I learned pretty fast, just by talking to people who spoke it.

One way I learned a sophisticated spoken english was by watching American soap operas
and by reading many, many books. It was not easy in the beginning but it was fun.

Actually, I thought I was a hot little number in the English department, when I came to Texas.
That changed when I took my first job and realized just how much was missing and I felt pretty lost at times.

The english language I love, because it is very precise and to the point and surely one of the easier languages
to learn. It is very forgiving and versatile and lends itself to some really funny stuff.

Anyway, nice to see you'all, I hope to read you again.
Have a great day

Julchen

Anzeige

tinamarie
tinamarie
Mitglied

geschrieben von tinamarie
als Antwort auf julchentx vom 12.08.2010, 20:46:23
My story is similar to Julchen’s. I also had two years of English in school. That helped me tremendously with grammar later in this country. But I should have continued taking English classes. My grammar is still excellent, but sentence structure could be better.

It would be nice if we ccould keep this subforum active.

tinamarie
Praline1
Praline1
Mitglied

geschrieben von Praline1
als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 12.08.2010, 21:13:48
When I found this new English discussion section I really enjoyed it - especially your encouraging words - Julchen!
After having started to write in the French section - which is
much more difficult for me - I would also like to take part in
these discussions.

As most of you I learned English at school and later on even went to a school for foreign languages where I improved my knowledge.
But it`s quite a long time ago! However, I could help my daughter
when she learned English at school and it was quite a good exercise
for me.

One Sunday I came into the chat room where only English was
written. But I didn`t dare to write because all the members seemed to be perfect! When I had finished to think about the right grammar
the others already had changed the discussion point! So it is much
easier here where there is time enough to think about the right
sentences!

But there is still to find something to talk about. What about
vacation? My husband and I for example spent some time at the
Northern Sea where we have an apartment of our own. Especially
during the time when it was so very hot it was quite nice to
enjoy the wind and the clean air at the sea.
Where did all of you spend the summer time?

Kind regards,
Praline1
julchentx
julchentx
Mitglied

geschrieben von julchentx
als Antwort auf Praline1 vom 12.08.2010, 22:00:55
Hi Praline :)

So start a threat about vacations. :) Nobody says we have to cramp everthing into this one threat right here :)

By the way, the english spoken chat on sundays exists since many years, and there are really nice folks there
who will help in any way they can to make newcomers feel comfortable and at home.

Unfortunately, these days, I hardly ever have a chance to attend anymore, but please visit and let them know
that you are a little apprehensive and shy and perhaps a little slow, yet. They will help all they can :)
(Joe Isuzu the used car salesman would say now: I GUARANTEE IT ) ...juuuuuuuuuuuust kidding....lol...my sense of humor is really in the dumps sometimes, sorry , folks.

Also, I think, that all of the the writers here are in superb command of the english language, if at times a bit
rusty. That can change very easily with a little practice. Sooooo Praline will start a threat on vacations (right?) and
I will start another one (on the really tired old subject of my dogs) and whoever wants to talk about whatever -
starts their own:)

How's that?

Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Have a great tomorrow, everyone
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Mitglied

als Antwort auf tinamarie vom 12.08.2010, 21:13:48
@ tinamarie

To hear of you again is nice too.

Why do you call yourself as “Old lady?”

Probable you remember the follow German proverb below:

"Man ist nie zu alt zum Lernen"

I do not know the translation of this proverb, so I need a helping hand.
It will be easy for you to translate the proverb in English, I believe.

Zitat: It would be nice if we ccould keep this subforum active.

Yes, that would be wonderful!

Have a nice evening, Elizabeth

Anzeige