Forum Fremdsprachen English how about just conversation?

English how about just conversation?

pschroed
pschroed
Mitglied

RE: how about just conversation?
geschrieben von pschroed
Today I worked on our garden shed, there ist lot to do,the wood calls for protective paint, I bought yesterday three five liter containers and they were very expensive, 😟 I paid 130 Euro for one container, the manufacturer gives a guarantee of eight years protection, I hope it will be like that 😉.
I started with sanding the wood to remove the loose paint, i don't like doing this work but what has to be must be. A typical pensioner work and that's a good thing. Phil.
Murgtäler
Murgtäler
Mitglied

geschrieben von Murgtäler
als Antwort auf jacare4 vom 26.04.2021, 17:56:51

Hi Udo.
Thank God I don't have any pain because of my extracted teeth. My dentist gave me painkiller in case I had but I didn't need them. And no, they were not the last ones. But many are not left.😪 Chewing is possible but I have to be careful.
Yes I live in Germany's southwest but you don't have to envy me in summer when we have 40° like the last years but I won't complain weather could be worse.
As I said I dont do marathon any longer, but I do some walking and jogging. On my 70.birthday, it was a sunday, I did a semimarathon in Karlsruhe and when I crossed the finishline after 2 hours I was quite happy.
Kind regards
Manfred

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
The older I get, the less often my dentist invites me to take a seat on her special chair in order to treat me with her instruments of torture. Today I took my wife to her dentist´s surgery. Afterwards she had to skip lunch, whereas I had a delicious meal of sauteed potatoes and scrambled eggs with fried bits of onions. What a lovely smell all over our home. 

jacaré4/Udo

Anzeige

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf jacare4 vom 27.04.2021, 16:02:53

Hi Yacare,
Being a good fellow for your wife you shouldn't have cooked a fragrant meal, while she had to starve!
That seems to me quite cruelly!
Maybe she didn't mind missing potatoes and scrambled eggs.

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 27.04.2021, 18:59:33
@rose42

Dear Rosemarie, 

Of course, I enjoyed my lunch sitting next to my starving wife at the kitchen table. Maybe you think that my wife is an emancipated woman. No, not at all. She is a loving wife, and has been so for over half a century. I only am allowed access to the kitchen for sharing my time with her, eating the delicious dishes she prepares for herself and me. You may raise your hands over your head in disgust, blaming me to be an egocentric idiot. However, what she does for me, is 
real love. And I will never dissuade her and ask her to change her attitude. On the contrary I praise  her culinary skills as often as possible. 

jacaré4/Udo
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied

Good evening,

my name is Susan, I’m 62 and widowed. I now live in a little town in Lower Saxony, near to my son and his wife. 

Some of you might remember me. I left ST last year after a few months because I was very busy selling my house etc. 

Well, I originally come from Scotland, was born in Aberdeen and lived in and near Inverness in the Highlands, until my parents moved to Germany as I was 11 years old. My mum came from Berlin and my dad’s a Scotsman. 

So, arriving in Germany at that time, I didn’t speak a word german. Our mum didn’t teach us the german language as long as we lived in Scotland. She had to go through a lot of rude comments and not always good times as she came to Scotland in 1957 as a german girl. That was a fact why she didn’t communicate in german. 

I hope to stay in touch with you all and I’ll be writing again. 

Have a peaceful and good evening.

Susan 

Anzeige

Murgtäler
Murgtäler
Mitglied

geschrieben von Murgtäler
als Antwort auf jacare4 vom 27.04.2021, 20:10:24

@Udo . You caused me a good laugh about your statement. I like the way of your writing very much. Funny, a bit ironic, very entertaining. Please go on this way.👍

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
als Antwort auf ehemaliges Mitglied vom 27.04.2021, 20:44:13
Hi Susan, 

Welcome.

You told us a bit about your life, first in Scotland and then in Lower Saxony. Do you remember anything from the times in the Highlands where you grew up? You were eleven years old when you moved to Germany. How did you manage to learn German? What was school like for you?

So many questions. Hopefully you don´t mind.

jacaré4/Udo
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied
als Antwort auf jacare4 vom 28.04.2021, 15:34:30

Good morning Udo, 

thanks for your welcome.

Oh yes, I do remember a lot about living in the highlands. After my father met my mother in Berlin she decided to go to Scotland with him. It was the end of the fifties as they married and work was rare at that time. My father came from a big family and his older brother encouraged him to work with him for the Highland hydro schemes. A big employer at that time. So over many years we moved from caravan site to caravan site over the Highlands. At last we had a big caravan, called a trailer with a sitting-room, 2 bedrooms, a small kitchen and a bathroom with a bath. I’m lucky to have had a mother who often told me her stories of our life as I was a wee (little) lass (girl). 

My first memories are as we moved to a caravan site on the outskirts of Inverness, the capitol of the Highlands. A beautiful town, it’s allowed to call itself a city since December 2000. I was 4 years old. A year later I started school. I loved this school and I will always remember how much I looked forward to our bible study every morning. 

Having loads of relatives we used to travel up and down the east coast of the Highlands. Wonderful landscapes, not a big population and warm-hearted people.

Two years before we came over to live in Germany we moved into a council house. My family had grown. I’ve got 3 younger brothers. We moved to a little place around Culloden. It took us a 10 minute walk to Culloden House. A beautiful but tragical place in history for the scots. Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) and his army were defeated in the Battle of Culloden on the 16th April 1746. 

Well, that’s it for today. 

I hope you and your family had a good and hopefully sunny day. It’s starting to rain here. 

Susan 

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
Good morning, Susan, moin

Probably the rain does no longer provide your little Lower Saxon town with moisture, although fields and gardens are suffering from drought. I live in the center of Schleswig-Holstein where the rain arrived in the afternoon making farmers and foresters happy. However we need a lot more of it, because the soil is like powder. 

On TV we sometimes get reports about Scotland. My neighbour and her friend made a biking tour through the Scottish Highlands and came back full of excitement about what they had seen and experienced. They would do it again when there is a chance. They invited us to watch the video. They had joined a group of ten German policemen touring Scotland in their holidays. 

At the moment we can see lovely sunshine outside. As we do not know what the weather will be like two hours later, we will get in our car and enjoy spring in the countryside. 

What are your plans for today?

jacaré4/Udo

Anzeige