Forum Fremdsprachen English how about just conversation?

English how about just conversation?

Mitglied_6d29e9d
Mitglied_6d29e9d
Mitglied

RE: how about just conversation?
geschrieben von ehemaliges Mitglied
als Antwort auf yoli vom 18.04.2021, 16:04:45

yes, dear Yoli - a lot has been said and written about the deceased prince, unfortunately also a lot of ugly things. So I was all the more pleased about the contribution of a British soldier from Ulster, in regard to HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. He wrote:

The litany of abuse and inhumanity I have seen aimed at a man who devoted his life to public service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth has irked me beyond belief.
He's a racist, you say? At 18-months old, as a young Greek baby of Danish parentage, he was removed from his home and as a refugee was taken to Paris where he was brought up by two alcoholic parents. His mother was sectioned when he was five years old, whilst his father left him to pursue his own love life.
As a young boy he was sent to Germany, then England and finally Scotland for his education, where he was taught by the Jewish refugee, Kurt Hahn. This inspired the young Philip to join the Royal Navy in order to fight Nazism; something his three elder siblings had embraced - all of them married officers of the Third Reich.
A misogynist? In 1952 he renounced all of his own Royal titles and patronage in order to be subservient to the one true love of his life; a woman whom he would be with for 74 years. A man with more royal blood than the woman he married, who chose to give up his name for hers and follow two steps behind her for the remainder of his years. A chap who raised his children whilst his wife worked at at time when that was deemed emasculating.
No compassion? His Uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten - the fellow who raised him during his teenage years and mentored him beyond, indeed the only 'father figure' he knew - was murdered by the IRA in the Republic of Ireland in 1979. In 2012, he stood and watched as his wife shook hands with the man who masterminded his beloved Uncle's murder - and did so in order to ensure a more peaceful life for the souls of the children of Northern Ireland that they did not suffer the childhood he endured.
He was the patron of 800+ charities, founded the Duke of Edinburgh awards that over 3 million British children have benefited from, and was an architect of the World Wildlife Fund for nature. Abrasive and 'of his time' maybe but by God he was a brilliant, clever, witty man who left an indelible mark on all those he met. He attended over 22,000 public engagements in his working life, all to ensure the embetterment of others.
Requiesce in peace Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg; You truly are one of the finest foreign, refugee imports the country has had the pleasure to home, and one of its greatest Britons though not a drop of her blood ran through your veins.
You leave a wealthy legacy of humanitarianism that those who choose to mock could never equal.

really well written - and so true-
yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli

@ Woschi

What an interesting article. 
As I did not and still do not understand the part 

"His mother was sectioned"

I then looked into wiki and read a lot about the mother of Prince Philip. That she was deaf was interesting to read. And of course she had certain schizophrenia.
That her Son became such a well-known and well liked human was not all her doing.
I love it when an article invites me to read more about something.
Great thank you Woschi
Such a lot one does not know about an human being until he/she is dead.
Take care dear Woschi xxx

And all of you who may read here!
Love Yoli

yoli
yoli
Mitglied

geschrieben von yoli

Greetings to @ all

At the moment I am getting ready to pack the camper. It is only for 12 days and it is in the same country. But still I do not want to buy things because I have forgotten them. 
The camping place is called Riarena and the village is named Cugnasco. That is near to Locarno or Ascona!
It has a swimming pool. If it is warm enough to go into???
I do love it a bit warm.
We will be able to have nice little walks along the country side there.
Also my youngest brother lives not far away.
If possible I will look into  here once  I a while. Take care all of you.
I do hope you will be around here in this part of the forum once in a while!

Love Yoli.

Anzeige

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf yoli vom 20.04.2021, 13:49:38

Hello Yoli,
you have all your bits and pieces complete for a wonderful holiday along Locarno Lake. We've been there quite some years ago and we liked Morcote with its smalll houses around the area. The lake may be warm by June and anyway, the Lago Majore isn't far off. A phantastic area for a nice holiday. Do you intend to visit the isle on Lago Majore? It is beautiful for a one-day-trip with its nicely cultivated garden. And Ascona - of course - with its tempting shops and the beautiful  shore to overlook the lake and the mounains behind - adding the warm and smooth air you just feel in paradise.
So - I wish you a perfect holiday!
Rosemarie

rose42
rose42
Mitglied

geschrieben von rose42
als Antwort auf rose42 vom 20.04.2021, 14:51:55

The Lake's name is of course:  Lago Maggiore  Rosemarie

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
@yoli

While I am writing this, you are probably already sitting at the wheel of your camper on your way to Cugnasco. I looked the name of that village up on Google Earth and found that Bellinzona is also not far from there. Do you remember, a few days ago, I told you we had got a letter from Switzerland with a 150 (black horses) stamp on the envelop showing a picture of the Bellinzona train station.

More than half a century ago we wanted to do camping near the venerable university town of Heidelberg. In those days camping meant sleeping in a tent.  Our campsite was a very beautiful one in the village of Hirschhorn on the Neckar. 

However instead of steady sunshine we got neverending rain. After three  days and nights with permanent rain everything. was soaking wet. We packed up the wet tent, wet clothes, wet airbed, wet blankets, wet children and headed south, all the way through your country. We drove across the Alps until we finally reached a wonderful place for camping near the banks of Lago di Como. 

A few days later, everything was dry again and we were happy. Our next destination was Stresa on the Lago Maggiore. Do you know?

Dear Yoli, good luck. Enjoy your camping adventure. And maybe swimming in the lake will be less cold if you wear something warm. 

Udo

Anzeige

Virginia
Virginia
Mitglied

geschrieben von Virginia

Have fun, dear @yoli, keep good health and return safely!

Love
Virginia

Murgtäler
Murgtäler
Mitglied

geschrieben von Murgtäler
als Antwort auf Virginia vom 20.04.2021, 17:13:19

Hi folks.
Most of you won't know me yet. My name's Manfred, I live in Karlsruhe und I'm a member of Tivoli-Forum where I got to know Yoli. And Yoli invited me to join this Forum and especially this english-speaking thread. So here I am and I'm looking forward to get to know nice people. My English is far from being perfect and I hope it will be getting better with the help of you.
regards, manfred

Virginia
Virginia
Mitglied

geschrieben von Virginia
als Antwort auf Murgtäler vom 21.04.2021, 13:49:09

Hi Manfred,

Your English doesn't have to be the peak of perfection 😊. Just go ahead and write.

Wishing you lots of fun -

Best,
Virginia

jacare4
jacare4
Mitglied

geschrieben von jacare4
als Antwort auf Murgtäler vom 21.04.2021, 13:49:09
@Murgtäler

Hello Manfred, 

although one female member of the Seniorentreff attested me a few days ago that I am far from being a nice member, let me heartily welcome you. The English corner of the ST will be happy to receive your contributions. 

Enjoy your time with the Seniorentreff. 

jacaré4/Udo

Anzeige